Report of the Board Integrated Risk Management Committee
Composition of Board Integrated Risk Management Committee (BIRMC)
During the financial year ended December 2019, the composition of Board Integrated Risk Management Committee (BIRMC) of DFCC Bank was unchanged. There are three Non-Executive Directors and an Executive Director as at 31 December 2019. The Chief Risk Officer, who has the voting power, functions as the Secretary to the Committee. Heads of key functional areas such as Lending, Finance, Treasury, Operations, Information Technology, Internal Audit, and Compliance attend the meetings on invitation. The membership of the BIRMC as at 31 December 2019 was as follows:
Mr T Dharmarajah – Chairman of the Committee/Non-Executive Director of DFCC Bank
Mr L H A L Silva – Executive Director/Chief Executive Officer of DFCC Bank
Ms V J Senaratne – Non-Executive Director of DFCC Bank
Ms L K A H Fernando – Non-Executive Director of DFCC Bank
Mr A Goonesekere – Chief Risk Officer
Charter and the responsibilities of the BIRMC
The approved Charter for the BIRMC stipulates authority, structure, responsibilities, and tasks of BIRMC. As per its Charter, the primary responsibilities of BIRMC are to review and ensure
- Integrity and adequacy of the risk management function of the Bank
- Adequacy of the Bank’s capital and its allocation
- Risk exposures and risk profiles of DFCC Bank are within acceptable parameters and to make recommendations to the Board of Directors on any action required
- Review the adequacy and effectiveness of the Management Committees through a set of defined tools.
- Availability of a comprehensive and updated set of risk policies and guidelines covering overall operations of the Group.
- The compliance of the Group’s operations with relevant laws, regulations and standards including the adherence to the CBSL Direction on Corporate Governance.
The process through which the BIRMC discharges its responsibilities is detailed in the Risk Management section of this Annual Report.
As per the Charter, BIRMC should meet on quarterly basis. During 2019, the DFCC Bank convened six BIRMC meetings where two additional meetings were to review Internal Capital Adequacy Assessment Process (ICAAP) and risk policies. The attendance of members is listed in the section on Corporate Governance of the Annual Report. The Committee continued to review policy frameworks, risk management strategies, risk capital position, key risk indicators and top and emerging risks at these meetings and was satisfied that the risk exposures of the Bank and the Group were being appropriately managed. During the financial year, the following key initiatives were achieved by the Committee.
- Reviewed and approved the Internal Capital Adequacy Assessment Process (ICAAP) of DFCC Bank, which was a regulatory requirement with effect from January 2014. BIRMC will continue monitoring and proposing future capital requirements as per the Bank’s growth targets for the next few years.
- In relation to the management of compliance risk, compliance risk indicators with different risk scales were reviewed and specific areas of focus were recognised based on the possible impact and the probability of occurrence.
- Risk controls and monitoring tools were further improved with revisions to the overall risk limits system of the Bank from time to time as required. New advisory limits were put in place as trigger limits as required.
- All existing risk policies and practices were reviewed by the Committee in line with the Bank specific requirements, industry dynamics, and regulatory specifications and approved the necessary amendments to further strengthen the risk management processes in the Bank.
- The Committee reviewed the technical validation results for the credit rating models and approved the revisions of credit rating models for Corporate, SME, and PFS exposures. These revisions focused on recognising the borrower risk profile more effectively thereby reducing the subjectivity in assigning the scores for the model parameters. These changes have been implemented in the Bank during the year facilitating better credit pricing and risk management.
- The annual review of effectiveness and adequacy of the Management Committees was conducted by the BIRMC during the first quarter of 2019. The review results were shared with the respective committees for necessary improvements.
- Reviewed and approved all the new products and redesign of any existing products of the Bank while taking both business and risk management perspective.
- Reviewed and implemented the CBSL recommendations based on the examination report requirements in relation to the integrated risk management function of the Bank.
- Having duly recognised the trends in increasing threats on systems and information security, the committee paid increased attention by reviewing the adequacy of the security in information systems and closely monitoring the action plans and implementation of new projects for further improving information systems security in the Bank.
The proceedings of the BIRMC meetings are reported to the Board through submission of the meeting minutes. Monthly Top and Emerging Risks and other specific matters are submitted separately for the Board’s information. The recommendations made by the BIRMC during the year under review were duly approved by the Board.
Chairman – Board Integrated Risk Management Committee
18 February 2020